Question: Do you think you have what it takes to take a service from a few hundred thousand users to tens of millions of users in 1 year flat? If you do read on and perhaps become the next beloved scalability rockstar of our age.
We are looking for a data charmer. A mysql magician. A code hack. A funny man. A mad man. A passionate man. Or perhaps a woman who does all these things and more.
Here’s what you gotta do:
- Pro-active and reactive performance analysis, monitoring and general database plumbing of all leaky issues.
- Work with others on the team to help maintain/improve and support the infrastructure for a high traffic, high growth site
- Optimize and tune the database day to day
- Algorithmic bent. Develop algos to quicken search times, response times, find shortest paths between various connections on site.
- Have solid low level networking/protocol/computer security skills
- Log everything. Usage stats, search stats, user behaviour stats. Draw conclusions. Constantly refine and tinker.
- Help with periodic large storage migrations
- Work intimately with operations, development, and strategy team to ensure smooth deployments of new iterations, high availability of database services.
- Understand capacity planning. Always thinking 10 steps ahead. (Whether it means looking at distributed systems services, cloud computing options, evaluating HA models used in other industries etc)
- Have a pulse on the state of the web, social media, social networking, different scalability architectures, benefits/negatives of each.
- Interest in high concurrency, distributed systems architectures.
- General low level hacking/scripting/optimizations in perl/python.
- Evaluate changing conditions in the archi
- Think creatively. No dogmatists.
- BS in Comp Sci or equivalent
- 5+ years experiene with Linux/Unix systems
- 3+ years with MySQL in production environment
- Knowledge and experience with partitioned architectures and a database sharding techniques
- Capacity planning/high growth planning/emergency planning experience
- Passion, bordering on paranoia, for hunting bottlenecks, and optimizing IO operations
- Experience with MySQL replication
- Deep experience with MySQL internals
- Experience with performance analysis tools, storage engines, backup methodologies for MySQL
- Great perl/shell scripting experience
- Team player, self motivated, able to handle high stress situations while maintaining a calm disposition
- Great communication skills, attention for detail, and an interest in the business side of the equation of systems/scale planning
- Eat/sleep/breathe the web, startups, and the landscape of the social web
We’re ready to offer an aggressive salary with tremendous upside by way of stock options, commensurate with your experience, your drive and your results.
Apply directly to:
net ‘dot’ startup ‘at’ googles mail service dot com
by sending us a CV/resume, and optionally, a link to your blog or Linkedin profile.